Our High Tech and Electrical Group, one of the largest in the UK, houses experience in areas as diverse as systems engineering, software development, high speed optoelectronics and magnetic field generation; meaning our attorneys are highly experienced in writing electrical and software patents. We are equally at home talking to scientists and inventors as we are to business people and lawyers. We understand the fast-moving nature of the sectors you work in and are here to help you every step of the way, from prosecuting patent applications around the world to offering litigation support and advice when necessary.
We belong and actively contribute to industry bodies such as The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) and Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPO) giving us access to the latest industry ideas, and helping us to keep you ahead of the market.
Our clients include major industrials, academic institutions, small and medium-sized enterprises and independent research organisations. We can provide expertise on a vast number of areas, including these to the right:
- Computer games and animation
- Consumer electronics
- Drug-polymer conjugates
- Financial, e-commerce and business solutions
- Internet searching, management and delivery
- Medical devices and imaging
- Multimedia including digital rights management (DRM)
- Navigation and mapping
- Scientific and research instruments, cryogenics
- Sensors and monitors for petrochemical and other applications
- Software and computer implemented inventions
- Telecommunications including mobile, radio interfaces and standards
- Utilities and green technologies including solar and smart metering
We have a portfolio of prestigious clients who are leaders in their prospective fields. We support them through patent applications, oppositions and appeals. We know that one of the biggest challenges for companies in this sector is the management of increasingly large and complex patent portfolios. We are vastly skilled and experienced in this area.
MEET THE High Tech and Electrical TEAM
- Our high tech and software patent attorneys successfully represented a US-based software developer of broadband solutions in a long-running battle against a major telecoms company, claiming victory in the High Court, Court of Appeal and the European Patent Office (EPO) Opposition Division.
- Acted for a major UK telecoms company in the drafting of numerous new patent applications, as well as commercially significant European oppositions against a non-practicing entity.
- Defended a US product development company in an European Patent Office (EPO) Appeal, which was accelerated due to the commercial importance of the case, and ultimately went in favour of the client.
"The team is very co-operative, hugely thoughtful and very commercial."
Client comment - Chambers and Partners, 2018
“I think they’re globally strong across the board in terms of our patent prosecution and our trademarks – they’re very efficient and on the ball.”
Client comment - client satisfaction survey
"Boult Wade Tennant excels in ‘competence, responsiveness and cost’."
Legal 500, 2017
EPO Launches a Consultation on the...
Notably, the draft updated rules show that there is an intention to codify the stricter aspects of the Case Law regarding the admissibility of new arguments, objections, evidence, and amendments.
Registered Designs and Technical Function: CJEU...
In a ruling published last week, the CJEU has provided clarification as to when features of appearance of a product are solely dictated by the product’s technical function.