Our High Tech and Electrical Group, one of the largest in the UK, houses experience in areas as diverse as systems engineering, software development, high speed optoelectronics and magnetic field generation; meaning our attorneys are highly experienced in writing electrical and software patents. We are equally at home talking to scientists and inventors as we are to business people and lawyers. We understand the fast-moving nature of the sectors you work in and are here to help you every step of the way, from prosecuting patent applications around the world to offering litigation support and software patent advice when necessary.
We belong and actively contribute to industry bodies such as The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) and Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office (EPO) giving us access to the latest industry ideas, and helping us to keep you ahead of the market.
Our clients include major industrials, academic institutions, small and medium-sized enterprises and independent research organisations. We can provide expertise on a vast number of areas, including these to the right:
- Computer games and animation
- Consumer electronics
- Drug-polymer conjugates
- Financial, e-commerce and business solutions
- Internet searching, management and delivery
- Medical devices and imaging
- Multimedia including digital rights management (DRM)
- Navigation and mapping
- Scientific and research instruments, cryogenics
- Sensors and monitors for petrochemical and other applications
- Software and computer implemented inventions
- Telecommunications including mobile, radio interfaces and standards
- Utilities and green technologies including solar and smart metering
We have a portfolio of prestigious clients who are leaders in their prospective fields. We support them through patent applications, oppositions and appeals. We know that one of the biggest challenges for companies in this sector is the management of increasingly large and complex patent portfolios. We are vastly skilled and experienced in this area.
MEET THE High Tech and Electrical TEAM
- Our high tech and software patent attorneys successfully represented a US-based software developer of broadband solutions in a long-running battle against a major telecoms company, claiming victory in the High Court, Court of Appeal and the European Patent Office (EPO) Opposition Division.
- Acted for a major UK telecoms company in the drafting of numerous new patent applications, as well as commercially significant European oppositions against a non-practicing entity.
- Defended a US product development company in an European Patent Office (EPO) Appeal, which was accelerated due to the commercial importance of the case, and ultimately went in favour of the client.
"The team is very co-operative, hugely thoughtful and very commercial."
Client comment - Chambers and Partners, 2018
“I think they’re globally strong across the board in terms of our patent prosecution and our trademarks – they’re very efficient and on the ball.”
Client comment - client satisfaction survey
"Boult Wade Tennant excels in ‘competence, responsiveness and cost’."
Legal 500, 2017
Update on EU patent protection and...
Partner Neil Thomson covers the key implications on EU patent protection following the UK Government's recently published guidance on a "no-deal" Brexit scenario.
Filings in light of Brexit
Partner Catherine Wolfe discusses the implications of filings in light of recent Brexit developments, including why there is no "one size fits all" approach to the situation.
IP5 launches Collaborative Search and Examination...
The five largest Patent Offices have launched a new pilot Collaborative Search and Examination rogramme for PCT applications to take place over the next two years.
Partner Catherine Wolfe provides comment for...
According to the analysis, the UK government plans to establish its own geographical indications (GI) scheme and to explore membership of the Unified Patent Court