Nigel, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the firm’s High Tech and Electrical Group.
Nigel has developed particular expertise in the aerospace and defence sector, first while working as an in-house Patent Attorney for BAE Systems where he managed the patent portfolio of their R&D centres and, since then, by continuing to work with clients in the aerospace field. Other areas of technical expertise include: scientific instruments; semiconductor processing equipment; process control devices; materials processing including 3D printing and nanotechnology; telecommunications; computer networks, cloud computing and software for various applications including hardware control; design problems and signal control. He also advises on business methods patents, most notably within the field of mobile transactions, online banking and consumer ratings.
Nigel handles all aspects of patent prosecution, and frequently represents clients at the European Patent Office in Oral Proceedings before the Examination Divisions, the Opposition Divisions and the Boards of Appeal. He also advises on general patent issues, such as patent portfolio management, patent validity and infringement, freedom to operate reviews and due diligence for mergers, acquisitions and venture capital funding. Nigel’s background in the aerospace and defence industry provides expertise in advising on defence contracts, licensing and collaboration agreements (particularly with universities/R&D centres).
Previously, Nigel studied at the University of Liverpool, where he obtained a first class honours degree in Physics and a PhD in Surface Science. He researched the magnetic properties of rare earth metal surfaces and also developed a microMott spin polarimeter for his industrial sponsor (the Science & Technology Facilities Council, Daresbury Laboratory).
- Conducted freedom-to-operate reviews for a client looking to launch in the area of mobile payments. This involved identifying and assessing the potential impact of patents and patent applications on the client’s business.
- Assisted a client in the field of consumer ratings. Reviewed their development work and identified areas where patent protection could be obtained to ensure a patent portfolio that protected their business interests. This required careful consideration of the technical aspects of their products to ensure the strength of the patents and avoidance of problems usually associated with trying to obtain patents for business methods.
- Prosecuted a European patent application to grant in the closely contested field of nappies and incontinence pads, and then successfully defended the patent at a European Patent Office hearing such that it has been maintained without the need for amendment.
Southern Manufacturing and Electronics trade show, Farnborough, February 5th 2019
Advanced Engineering 2018
TCT Show 2018, ,Birmingham, September
All Energy exhibition and conference, Glasgow, May 2017
Regular Attendee – All Energy Exhibition
Regular Attendee – Farnborough Airshow
Regular Attendee – Fast Forward Solent
2014 – IP clinic for Connect TVT
High Tech and Electrical
34 Bridge Street
Sectors and practice areas
- Mobile transactions and online banking
- Process control devices
- Scientific instruments
- Semiconductor processing
- Business methods
- Institute of Physics
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- Chartered Physicist
- PhD Surface Science, University of Liverpool
- BSc Physics, University of Liverpool
Legal 500, 2014 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
Find another attorney