Malcolm is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the High Tech and Electrical Group.
Malcolm has expertise in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications, particularly in the fields of physics and electronics, including: optics, semiconductors, semiconductor processing, telecommunications, fibre optics, display devices, aerospace, medical instruments, and consumer electronics. He has substantial experience in prosecuting applications before the European Patent Office, as well as the UK Patent Office. Malcolm has also attended oppositions before the EPO.
Prior to joining Boult Wade Tennant he spent six years working in research in industry developing opto-electronic and fibre-optic systems and components for use in a wide range of areas. These areas included telecommunication, radar and aerospace applications. He also has experience of semiconductor components and RF/microwave devices.
Malcolm has an MA and MSc Natural Sciences from the University of Cambridge, specialising in physics.
- Worked with an aerospace client successfully overturned a preliminary opinion to maintain the patent with the first set of claims.
- Assisted an inventor in the household goods sector with applications across a broad product range. Successfully filed patent and design applications and advised on licensed deals across Europe and the US.
- Assisted a start-up, working in the vision industry, with a family of patent applications.
February 2015 – Cryogenic Enterprise Event
December 2014 – Limits of Patent Protection – Open Source Software
December 2014 – 41st Intelligent Sensing Programme
October 2014 – Update on Japanese Patent Law
October 2014 – Tec 66, Hastings
High Tech and Electrical
34 Bridge Street
Sectors and practice areas
- Medical devices
- Display devices
- Fibre optics
- Material processing methods
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Neural networks
- Artificial intelligence
- Institute of Physics
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MA Natural Sciences (Physics), University of Cambridge
- MSc Natural Sciences (Physics), University of Cambridge
Find another attorney