Jonathan’s practice covers both international and domestic work across the full range of sectors and clients. He has particular expertise in analysing research programmes and advising on the strength of different aspects for patent protection in light of the business needs of the client. He has extensive experience of drafting and prosecuting patent applications in the UK, Europe and throughout the world, as well as expertise in patent portfolio management, due diligence, infringement and validity advice, contentious proceedings including oppositions and appeals.
As part of the High Tech and Electrical Group, Jonathan has particular focus on physics, electronics and computer software. His specialisms include: solar photovoltaics; fibre optic based sensing; optical based medical devices and imaging systems; and telecommunications networks and standards including DVB, IP and 3GPP.
In addition to his work in the High Tech and Electrical Group, Jonathan also works within Biotechnological and Life Sciences Group supporting patent work in this field where it strays into areas of electronics, software and algorithms. Some particular areas of experience in this area include: sequence analysis algorithms, bioinformatics data base and processing software, and bioelectronics interfaces.
Jonathan has a BSc (Physics with Computing) and a PhD (Physics) from Southampton University.
- Devised a creative solution to defend a patent relating to the client’s key assay substrate products. This protected an important new market area for the client through careful and strategic positioning in Opposition.
- Handled a complex multi-family group of patents to cover aspects of some Raman spectroscopy research which required imaginative drafting and expert management to develop all aspects of the group effectively at the same time. The patents now support a successful young company.
66th annual APAA meeting, attending, Bali, Indonesia, October 2016
CIPA Congress 2015 – ‘The Global IP System: is it fit for purpose?’, Chair, London, October 2015
2014 – Asian Patent Attorneys Association council meeting
High Tech and Electrical
Salisbury Square House
8 Salisbury Square
Sectors and practice areas
- Bioinformatics and bioelectronics
- Consumer electronics
- Oil and gas exploration
- Public and academic research institutions
- Software and IT
- Telecommunications and internet services
- Client, server and network software
- Interferometers, imaging and sensing technologies
- Internet protocols
- Optical and particle sensors
- Artificial intelligence
- Signal encoding
- Quantum computing
- The Society for Computers and Law
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- PhD Physics, University of Southampton
- BSc (Hons) Physics with Computing, University of Southampton
“The relationship [with Jonathan Palmer] is very good, very amicable and he is very proactive.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
“Dr Jonathan Palmer is ‘organised, consistent and supportive of clients and his team.” Legal 500, 2011 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
“…they understand the technologies we're dealing with, which is very good.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
“They’re very analytical; they won't let us go ahead with anything they don't think they can take forward.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Jonathan Palmer provides "helpful feedback regarding instructions and workflow." (Client feedback, MIP Patent Editorial 2017)
Find another attorney