Being a top tier Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group is what our clients expect of us. More importantly, both new and longstanding clients recommend us to colleagues because the quality of services we provide to clients is at the core of our ethos. Of course, there is always room for improvement – so we are running a programme of client research, conducted by an independent agency. We want to understand how to enhance the services we deliver. Our biotechnology and life sciences patent attorneys act for a variety of clients across the biotechnology and life sciences sector, creating patents for pioneering companies, small start-ups and individual inventors through to big pharma and academic institutions. This means that we regularly advise on uncharted areas and work on cases and deals that help innovate and define the sector. We are passionate about our clients’ industries, what they do, how they do it and how we can help to make it even better.
Some of the areas we focus on include:
- Molecular biology
- Small molecule pharmaceuticals
- Pharmaceutical formulations
- Lab-on-chip microfluidic devices
- Plant biotechnology
- Plant varieties
Having honed our technical skills as biochemists, molecular biologists, immunologists, cancer biologists and more, you can be assured our team know your sector inside out and will use this knowledge to your advantage. Our patent attorneys advise on topics covering all aspects of the biotechnology and life sciences sector, including pharmaceuticals, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices, and healthcare products and services. We also advise on less obvious sectors of our industry such as food and beverages, cosmetics, agriculture and new forms of energy. Our world-class team go the extra mile; we deliver on the promises we make to our clients.We are active and involved members of key industry bodies such as The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA) and International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), and we include among our group the current Chair of the AIPPI's Special Committee 114 on Biotechnology (including Plant Varieties).
We understand that Biotechnology and Life Sciences are fast-moving sectors and that the advice you receive must be one step ahead. Our biotechnology patent attorneys have hands-on experience guiding clients on the most cutting edge and innovative developments in the market, from gene patenting to second medical use claims.
MEET THE Biotechnology and Life Sciences TEAM
- Our biotechnology patent attorneys successfully represented a leading international pharmaceuticals company before the European Patent Office (EPO) Board of Appeal in a hugely significant case for the field of personalised medicine.
- Defended an innovative genetic analysis company against an European Patent Office (EPO) opposition by a rival corporation.
- Assisted a multinational agricultural biotechnology company with the successful defence of European Patent Office (EPO) opposition proceedings, which resulted in a highly advantageous commercial outcome for the client.
- Chaired the AIPPI UK group in answering working question Q238 concerning the patentability and enforcement of second medical use claims.
"The IP team is exceptionally strong in crafting an IP strategy for securing broad claims and holding those up through opposition."
Client comment - MIP Stars, 2017
“Their knowledge and professionalism is top rate – I also get on with them!”
Client comment - client satisfaction survey
“Very co-operative, hugely thoughtful and very commercial.”
Chambers and Partners, 2018
"It has a team of individuals with ‘valuable expertise in various areas of technology’, and has ‘a high degree of competence in patent drafting and prosecution’."
Legal 500, 2017
EPO Launches a Consultation on the...
Notably, the draft updated rules show that there is an intention to codify the stricter aspects of the Case Law regarding the admissibility of new arguments, objections, evidence, and amendments.