Jason, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the High Tech and Electrical Group.
Jason joined Boult Wade Tennant in 2005 having previously worked as an IT consultant, and then a senior engineer at Sony researching and developing video compression algorithms and audio/video security/anti-piracy systems for digital cinema applications.
Jason has considerable experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications across a wide range of technology areas, such as multi-media delivery, protection and presentation, vehicle navigation systems, mobile telecommunications and search-engines. He particularly enjoys leveraging his previous experience to help applicants in areas such as computer software and systems, video and audio processing, data compression, cryptography and information security, data communications, computer gaming and professional broadcast systems. Jason also enjoys the more contentious areas of software and business-method patenting, and regularly participates in hearings at the UK and European Patent Offices relating to these issues.
Jason enjoys working for a diverse range of clients, from large multinationals to universities and smaller, more local businesses.
Jason has a BA (Hons) Mathematics from the University of Oxford and an MSc Mathematics and the Foundations of Computer Science, also from the University of Oxford. He was awarded the Bill Caro prize for coming top in his year of Queen Mary University of London postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law.
- A client, offering solutions for broadband providers, is involved in an ongoing dispute with a telecommunications company, including infringement proceedings before the UK Courts. Jason has represented the client at the European Patent Office, successfully defending their patents against all oppositions brought against them (including the infringed patent) whilst having one of the telecommunication company’s patents revoked.
- Assisting a multinational corporation with the management of its large global patent portfolio, offering commercial and strategic advice to maximize protection.
- Prosecuting numerous patent applications on behalf of a major internet search engine and media provider, whilst navigating the more contentious areas of software and business-method patenting.
Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co’s Annual Patents Seminar, London, January 2016
High Tech and Electrical
34 Bridge Street
Sectors and practice areas
- Audio and video creation and processing
- Content protection
- Energy management
- Internet services
- Media delivery and data protection
- Mobile telecommunications
- Search engines
- Software and computer technologies
- Software systems and solutions
- Vehicle navigation systems
- Audio processing
- Business methods
- Computer games
- Cryptography and data security
- Data compression
- Digital watermarking
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Internet technologies
- Mathematical methods and algorithms
- Multimedia processing
- Signal processing
- Software and computer-implemented inventions
- Video processing
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary University of London (awarded the Bill Caro prize for coming top of year)
- MSc Mathematics and the Foundations of Computer Science, University of Oxford
- BA (Hons) Mathematics, University of Oxford
Legal 500, 2014 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
“Jason Pelly is ‘very knowledgeable.” Legal 500, 2012 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
Legal 500, 2011 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
“We all realize the challenges one faces in defending issued patents… Your work rose to and even exceeded the challenge… Great job!” (Client comment, by email)
Find another attorney