Jo is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the High Tech and Electrical Group.
Jo has expertise in drafting and prosecuting patent applications in a wide range of areas of technology, such as: medical devices; road studs; utility monitoring and appliance disaggregation; corrosion/erosion sensors for the oil and gas industry; and secured software techniques. In addition, she has had considerable success in opposition and appeal work before the European Patent Office, including contentious oral hearings. Jo has also been involved in a number of freedom-to-operate and due diligence projects. As well as advising on patents, Jo also advises on UK and Community Designs, both in terms of prosecution and more contentious issues after grant.
Jo works with a variety of clients who have differing needs and requirements. She assists individual inventors and local companies in obtaining appropriate levels of patent/design protection for their products. She has much expertise in working with larger organisations and foreign Patent Attorneys where a more globally integrated approach is often required.
Jo was awarded the prize for drafting in the UK qualifying examination in 2006. In addition, Jo gained the GlaxoSmithKline Prize for Patent Law during her postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law at Queen Mary University of London, in 2005.
Jo has a BA (Hons) Physics from the University of Oxford, as well as an MSc Weather, Climate and Modelling and a PhD Meteorology from the University of Reading. Jo’s Meteorology PhD focussed on the predictability of atmospheric blocking, which required an in-depth knowledge of atmospheric fluid dynamics. After obtaining her PhD, Jo worked for a University spin-out company where she researched and wrote software to provide seasonal weather forecasts.
- During lockdown, Jo attended Examining Division Oral Proceedings by video conference and successfully convinced the EPO to grant a patent to her client.
- A client, offering software solutions for broadband providers, sued a telecommunications company for patent infringement in the UK. Jo represented the client at the EPO and successfully defended one of the infringed patents during EPO opposition proceedings.
- Assisted a consumer beverage client with freedom-to-operate searches and analysis of their machines in countries throughout the world.
- Assisted a manufacturer of retail security devices in successfully obtaining a signed undertaking from a rival company that was copying our client’s patented device without permission.
- Managed a patent transfer project for a multinational media protection company, including transfer recordals for over 1,000 patents across 20 jurisdictions worldwide.
Videoconference Oral Proceedings at the EPO – practicalities in lockdown, speaker, June 2020.
Google Patent OC Summit 2018, USA
CIPA Manchester Regional Meeting, Speaker, Manchester, November 2016
Norton Rose Fulbright, Women in IP – Launch event, Attending, London, November 2016
CIPA Congress 2016, Speaker, London, September 2016
Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co’s Annual Patents Seminar, London, January 2016
February 2015 – epi/EPO Opposition and Appeal Seminar
November 2013 – Women in Physics
May 2012 – Butterworths IP Due Diligence Conference
High Tech and Electrical
34 Bridge Street
Sectors and practice areas
- Communication technology
- Consumer beverage dispensers
- Digital broadcasting and data security
- Energy and utilities
- Intelligent traffic management
- Ion chromatography systems
- LED lighting systems
- Medical devices and software
- Oil and gas monitoring
- Mechanical devices
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- European Design Attorney
- PhD Meteorology, University of Reading
- MSc Weather Climate and Modelling, University of Reading
- BA (Hons) Physics, University of Oxford
“We all realize the challenges one faces in defending issued patents… Your work rose to and even exceeded the challenge… Great job!” (Client comment, by email)
"It was a pleasure to see how well you have handled these cases. I don’t know if another attorney would have achieved such a solid filing for a case with an incomplete disclosure, in a new technology area, and with a very short deadline" (Client comment, by email)
Find another attorney