Howard, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the High Tech and Electrical Group.
He advises on patent infringement and validity, especially regarding software implemented inventions, such as for digital rights management and telecommunications. He also advises on the patentability of business methods and financial applications in Europe. He has substantial experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications before the UK and European Patent Offices as well as coordinating the prosecution of foreign applications as part of larger patent portfolios. Howard has significant experience in representing patentees and opponents during European opposition procedures and Oral Proceedings.
Howard works with clients whose businesses focus on scientific or electronic based technology, such as spectrometers, semiconductor devices, telecommunications and computer hardware and software, as well as electro-mechanical products.
Howard has a BSc (Hons) Physics with Electronics and Instrumentation and a PhD Physics, both from the University of Leeds. His PhD research included the development of an ultraviolet laser-based Raman imaging microscope spectrometer.
- Assisted a financial services institution in protecting valuable apps by offering commercial and strategic freedom-to-operate advice.
- Oversaw a complex and sizeable patent filing programme for a multinational telecommunications client filling huge numbers of applications in a short period of time.
- Assisted a bank by offering freedom-to-operate advice to assist in a highly complicated consumer intelligence data service.
INTA 140th Annual Meeting
Global IP ConfEx, London, March 2016
Seminar, ‘Innovation to Investment: How to capitalise on your IP’, September 2015
High Tech and Electrical
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Computer technology
- Scientific instruments
- Business methods
- Mobile applications
- Institute of Physics
- European Design Attorney
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- PhD Physics, University of Leeds
- BSc (Hons) Physics with Electronics and Instrumentation, University of Leeds
“…they communicate well, they deliver on time.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
“…are more flexible than many of the other firms we’ve dealt with.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
“We’ve got a great relationship with Howard Sands.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Find another attorney