Joanna is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group.
Joanna has extensive experience of preparing and prosecuting patent applications before the UK and European Patent Offices. She regularly assists clients with managing global patent portfolios and providing commercial advice, including the preparation of freedom-to-operate opinions. She has also represented clients at oral proceedings before the European Patent Office at both first and second instance. Joanna works with a range of organisations from universities and SMEs through to multinational pharmaceutical companies, and her experience spans many different areas of biotechnology.
Joanna has a PhD from the University of London. Her doctoral research, carried out at The Institute of Cancer Research, investigated the role of key molecules implicated in tumour invasion and metastasis. She has extensive practical experience of a variety of biochemical, molecular and cell biology techniques, in particular the application of siRNA technologies.
Joanna also has an MA Cantab (Natural Sciences) and an MSci Biochem, both from the University of Cambridge. On completion of the certificate in Intellectual Property Law postgraduate course at the Queen Mary University of London, Joanna was awarded the Bill Caro Prize for best overall results in the Certificate examinations.
- Successfully opposed a competitor’s patent at the European Patent Office on behalf of a biopharmaceutical client.
- Represented a large pharmaceutical client before the European Patent Office Board of Appeal and succeeded in defending a patent with claims of commercial significance in the field of pain treatment.
- Acted on behalf of an international pharmaceutical company to oppose a competitor’s patent, leading to the revocation of the patent by the European Patent Office Board of Appeal.
Intellectual Property Case Law Seminar
The Warner-Lambert v. Actavis at The Supreme Court: Potential Implications on the Patent Infringement Landscape,” July
International Patent Forum 2018, London
Westminster Health Forum Keynote Seminar: Next steps for Big Data in health, attending, London, February 2018
UCL IBIL Debate ‘Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?’, London, November 2017
AIPLA Annual Meeting, Washington, October 2017
BIA Women in Biotech Networking Evening, London, June 2017
BIO International Convention, San Francisco, June 2016
AIPPI World Intellectual Property Congress, Toronto, September 2014
February 2014 – Speaker, Boult Wade Tennant Chemistry and Biotech client seminar
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
Salisbury Square House
8 Salisbury Square
Sectors and practice areas
- Medical devices
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Cell-based therapies
- Diagnostic methods
- Medical methods
- Molecular biology
- Molecular research tools
- RNA interference
- Stem cells
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney (awarded the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys Drafting prize)
- European Patent Attorney
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary University of London (awarded the Bill Caro Prize for best overall results in Certificate examinations)
- PhD, University of London
- MA Cantab (Natural Sciences), University of Cambridge
- MSci Biochem, University of Cambridge
Find another attorney