Nina is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney and Head of the Biotechnology and Life Sciences practice group.
Nina specialises in patent work in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical fields, including both biological and small-molecule pharmaceuticals, with a particular focus on therapeutic antibodies. She also has technical expertise in the fields of immunoassay-based diagnostics, molecular biology, nucleic acid amplification and detection, DNA sequencing, SNP biomarkers, probiotics, RNAi technology, plant-derived medicines, viral vectors and vaccines, biosensors and bioelectronics.
Nina has extensive experience of working closely with start-up companies, University spin-outs and SMEs, providing a full range of commercially-focused patent services including: drafting and worldwide prosecution of patent applications, freedom-to-operate advice, IP due diligence, patent strategy and portfolio management. She regularly represents clients at Oral Proceedings before the Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office and is highly skilled in IP due diligence.
Nina has an MA in Biochemistry and a DPhil in Molecular Biology, both from the University of Oxford. Her doctoral research, carried out at the Institute of Molecular Medicine, investigated expression of the human cystic fibrosis gene. She also has a postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London. Nina was awarded the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents Ballantyne Prize, for her performance in the Institute’s final examinations. She is a regular conference speaker on aspects of biotechnology patenting.
- Successfully opposed a competitor’s patent at the EPO on behalf of a biologics client, clearing the way for freedom-to-operate around a new therapeutic target.
- Provided strategic advice on freedom-to-operate and patentability of an early stage lead compound for an SME, to support a potential Partnering deal with a pharmaceutical company.
- Successfully defended a key European patent covering the main commercial product of a diagnostics client before the EPO Board of Appeal.
- IP due diligence concerning a small-molecule compound on behalf of a multinational pharmaceutical company.
The Remarkable 2017 Actavis Decisions and Its Implications 2018, Speaking
UCL IBIL Debate ‘Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?’, London, November 2017
CIPA Life Sciences Conference, Attending, Brighton, November 2016
Women in the City Annual Lunch, London, November 2016
Michael Best Life Science Summit, Speaker, Illinois, September 2016
CIPA Life Sciences conference, November 2015
August 2005 to 2015 – Speaker, ‘Biotechnology Patenting’, IP Law Summer School, University of Cambridge
November 2011 – Speaker, ‘HGS v Lilly Deconstructed’, AIPPI Seminar
March 2011 – Speaker, ‘Antibody patenting’, C5 20th Forum on Biotech Patenting, Munich
April 2010 – Invited speaker, ‘Transnational Strategies on Utilizing and Protecting IP in the Global Market’, Suffolk University School of Law, Advanced Legal Studies, Boston
March 2010 – Post-conference workshop on IP Due Diligence, C5 19th Forum on Biotech Patenting, Munich
September 2008 – Speaker, ‘Case Law update – the inventive step requirement in Biotechnology’, C5 17th Forum on Biotech Patenting
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
Salisbury Square House
8 Salisbury Square
Sectors and practice areas
- Nutritional products
- Biological therapeutics
- Cancer immunotherapy
- DNA sequencing
- Nucleic acid amplification and detection
- RNA interference
- Small molecule therapeutics
- CIPA: Member of the Life Sciences Committee
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London (awarded the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents Ballantyne Prize)
- DPhil Molecular Biology, University of Oxford
- MA Biochemistry, University of Oxford
Who's Who Legal - Patents 2020: World's leading patent experts
Who's Who Legal - Patents 2019: World's leading patent expert
Recommended in Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook, 2016
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2016
“I’ve got nothing but good things to say…I think they deliver a first class service to be honest.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Recommended in Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook, 2015
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2015
“Nina is very, very good at pre-empting what we may want to do.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Recommended in Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook, 2014
"Nina White has a very strong technical mastery of biotechnology." (Client Comment, MIP Patent Editorial 2017)
Recommended individual, JUVE patent 2020
Find another attorney