Michelle, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and a European Patent Attorney in the Chemical and Materials Group.
Michelle is highly experienced in drafting, filing and prosecuting UK, foreign, European and international applications in the chemical field. She has particular expertise in providing freedom-to-operate opinions. She has worked extensively on contentious matters, including oppositions and appeals before the European Patent Office and is experienced presenting cases at Oral Proceedings before the Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal. Michelle also frequently advises on portfolio management and provides strategic advice.
She advises across a wide range of chemical fields including: general organic chemistry; pharmaceuticals; pest control delivery methods; drug delivery systems; catalysts; and fuels/lubricants. Her diverse practice includes large corporations as well as small and medium sized companies. She has also been seconded to clients to greater understand their laboratory and field work, and commercial interests.
Michelle has an MChem and a DPhil in Inorganic Chemistry both from the University of Oxford. Her Doctorate was in supramolecular chemistry, and in particular synthesising and analysing ruthenium bipyridyl and ferrocene based anion binding receptors and self-assembled supramolecular structures.
- On behalf of a large US corporate client operating in the chemical industry successfully defended several European patents in opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office.
- Advised UK based pharmaceutical company in relation to drafting, filing and prosecuting their UK and EP applications and managing their worldwide patent portfolio.
- Acted for a large US petroleum corporate on the management of its European patent portfolio and provided strategic advice to maximise commercial value.
Chemical and Materials
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Energy and resources
- Medical devices
- Chemical engineering
- Drug delivery systems
- Electrochemistry and battery technology
- Environmental chemistry and green technology
- Fuel cells
- Gas and oil processing
- Pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry
- Waste treatment and waste processing
- AIPPI: UK Council Member, Treasurer, International Membership Committee
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- DPhil Inorganic Chemistry, University of Oxford
- MChem, University of Oxford
Women in Law Awards 2017, Lawyer Monthly
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2016
Michelle is “very knowledgeable, not only in the field we’re in, but also with what our technology is all about.“ (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2015
“Michelle is good at asking the right sort of questions and very proactive in taking things forward.“ (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Find another attorney