Matthew, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the Engineering and Designs Group.
Matthew provides advice on patent and designs matters in a broad range of fields, particularly in the mechanical engineering field. His main practice involves preparing and prosecuting patent and design applications in the UK, throughout Europe and internationally. However, he also regularly provides advice on the validity and scope of patents and registered designs. Matthew has particular experience in product development and providing simultaneous advice on the protection of new products and whether there is freedom-to-operate.
Matthew is a member of the Designs & Copyright Committee of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys and is also a member of Council of the British Group of Union IP. Matthew is also on the Practice Committee at Boult Wade Tennant, which works to ensure that the firm’s procedures comply with any changes in national and intergovernmental laws.
Matthew has an MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering from the University of Bristol and a postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary University of London.
- Appearing for clients in opposition hearings before the European Patent Office.
- Acting for a client in registered Community design invalidity proceedings before the EU Intellectual Property Office.
- Providing advice on the IP strategy for a potentially market-changing product for a UK based SME, including drafting and filing a number of patent applications at various different stages of the product’s development and providing related freedom-to-operate advice.
- Worked on secondment to provide support in invention capture, outside counsel management and patent prosecution to an in-house IP team of a multinational company.
Mastering the HAGUE AGREEMENT From Asia to the USA, through the EU
Marques and Gowling WLG, Mastering the HAGUE AGREEMENT From Asia to the USA, through the EU, June 2018
TIPLO Dinner Meeting June, London
A two-day update on the latest EUIPO and WIPO legal reforms, law and practice 8-9 November 2018 London
Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?, November 2017
Annual Update for Senior Trade Mark & Design Administrators, November 2017
MIP International Patent Forum, Attending, London, March 2017
Engineering and Designs
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Agricultural and industrial automotive engineering
- Construction and mining
- Food technology
- Medical devices
- Renewable energy
- Security documents
- Beverage dispensing systems
- Control systems
- Decontamination equipment
- Design registrations
- Earth moving tools
- Food and beverage packaging
- Internal combustion engines
- Production of banknotes and passports
- Single-serve beverage capsules
- Surgical and dentistry tools
- British Group of Union IP: council member
- CIPA: member of the Designs & Copyright Committee
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Design Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering, University of Bristol
Find another attorney