Neil, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the Engineering and Designs Group.
Neil advises on the complete range of patent matters in the mechanical and civil engineering fields. He has extensive experience in the filing and prosecution of national, regional and international patent applications before the UK and European Patent Offices. Neil has particular experience in drafting of original applications and advising clients on freedom-to-operate issues relating to new product development. He also has extensive experience of design registrations, and in particular community design registrations.
Neil has an MEng and an MA from the University of Cambridge.
- Successfully opposed, on behalf of a major multinational company, a European Patent application on the grounds of public prior use.
- Advised a NASDAQ-listed company on their freedom-to-operate a new product as part of a pan-European product launch.
- Drafted and filed patent applications for UK SMEs in the agricultural and construction sectors.
- Advised a UK-based healthcare company during successful licensing negotiations with a US customer.
Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?, November 2017
AIPPI, Brexit and IP Seminar, Speakers, London, July 2016
CUE Grand Finale, Cambridge, May 2016
Engineering and Designs
CPC4 Capital Park
Sectors and practice areas
- Agricultural automotive engineering
- Construction and mining
- Food technology
- Medical devices
- Renewable energy generation
- Beverage dispensing systems
- Dosage counters
- Earth-moving equipment
- Emissions control systems
- Farm machinery
- Office products
- Oral/nasal inhalers
- Point-of-sale packaging
- Single-serve beverage capsules
- Wind turbines
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Design Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MA (Cantab) Engineering, University of Cambridge
- MEng Engineering, University of Cambridge
Who's Who Legal, Recognised in Patents 2018
Who's Who Legal- Patents 2019: World's leading patent expert
“I probably see Neil [Thomson] as a bit more than just a business associate; I see him … as a friend to me as well… he looks after my own interests and he does add more than just that service.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
“Neil... always gives me a little bit more than I ask for, particularly if he thinks I might walk into a trap.” (Client comment, client satisfaction survey)
Find another attorney