James is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the Engineering and Designs Group.
With his broad technical background in engineering and computer science, James drafts and prosecutes patent applications in a wide range of subject-matter for both mechanical and high tech inventions.
James has particular experience in working with start-ups new to the patent process to provide affordable protection tailored to the client’s aims.
James is also regularly involved in contentious proceedings before the European Patent Office’s Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal, and attends several hearings each year in Munich and The Hague.
James also regularly advises on design registrations in a variety of industries.
James has a PhD in Biometrics from the University of Surrey, a MEng (Oxon) Engineering Science from the University of Oxford and a postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary University of London.
- Successfully defended two unrelated patents in two hearings on consecutive days, on behalf of a major aerospace client.
- Assisted Gravity Industries in obtaining patent protection for their revolutionary jet suit.
AIPPI World Congress, London, September 2019
Southern Manufacturing 2018, UK, February 2018
Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?, November 2017
IQPC Oil and Gas Summit, Attending, January 2017
3D Printing – Interactive Panel Discussion, Attending, London, November 2016
Engineering and Designs
Salisbury Square House
8 Salisbury Square
Sectors and practice areas
- Computer security
- Oil technology
- Computer monitor supports
- Flight control systems
- Gas cylinders
- Hybrid vehicles
- Identity authentication software
- Marine seismic survey equipment
- Office furniture
- Threaded pipe connections
- AIPPI: UK Treasurer
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Design Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- PhD Face Recognition, University of Surrey
- MEng (Oxon) Engineering Science, University of Oxford
Find another attorney