Rohan, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Chemical and Materials Group.
He has extensive experience drafting opposition and appeal statements and regularly presents cases at Oral Proceedings before the Opposition Divisions and Boards of Appeal of the European Patent Office. Rohan frequently advises on revocation and entitlement proceedings before the UK Intellectual Property Office.
He has special expertise in patent work in the materials science and engineering materials field, working extensively in: semiconductor and electronic materials; semiconductor processing; metallurgy; ceramics and glasses; cements and concretes; elastometric materials and composites. His broad experience also covers synthesis of hard materials for: cutting tools; coatings and laminates; surface engineering; crystal growth; heterogeneous catalyst materials and microstructural characterisation techniques.
Rohan has an MA in Materials Science and a DPhil in Materials Science both from the University of Oxford.
- Provided strategic offensive and defensive advice relating to oppositions and appeal proceedings before the European Patent Office to a large US corporate client.
- Successfully defended and attacked patents in contentious proceedings before the European Patent Office on behalf of a well-known client operating in the food science sector.
- Assisted a leading Japanese materials industry company in managing the prosecution of the European patent portfolio, providing strategic advice and obtaining patent protection.
CIPA Congress 2017, London, September 2017
MIP European Patent Reform Forum 2017, Paris, September 2017
MIP International Patent Forum, Attending, London, March 2017
CIPA Congress 2016, London, September 2016
AIPPI World Congress 2016, Milan, September 2016
MIP IP European Patent Forum, Paris, September 2016
MIP IP in Asia Forum, London, June 2016
Oxford International Intellectual Property Moot 2016, Judge, Oxford, March 2016
MIP International Patent Forum 2016, London, March 2016
CIPA 20th Annual Congress, October 2015
Seminar, ‘Innovation to Investment: How to capitalise on your IP’, September 2015
MIP European Patent Reform Forum, Paris, September 2015
2014 – Chair, ‘European Oppositions Master Class’, CIPA Congress,
2014 – AIPPI 2014 Toronto Word Intellectual Property Congress
2012 – 43rd World Intellectual Property Congress, Seoul
2010 – 42nd World Intellectual Property Congress, Paris
2010 – European Intellectual Property Seminar, Japanese Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Energy and resources
- Food and beverage
- Materials science and engineering materials
- Cements and concretes
- Ceramics, polymers and glasses
- Elastomeric materials and composites
- Semiconductor and electronic materials
- Semiconductor processing, metallurgy
- Synthesis of hard materials
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MA Materials Science, University of Oxford
- DPhil Materials Science, University of Oxford
Recognised by LegalComprehensive as a Top 100 Lawyer 2016/2017
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2017
Recommended in IAM Patent 1000, 2016
Recommended in Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook, 2016
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2016 and named a ‘Most Highly Regarded Individual’
'At Boult Wade Tennant clients are impressed with Rohan Setna’s ability to “grasp the detail incredibly quickly”. He specialises in patent work relating to semiconductor and electronic materials, semiconductor processing, metallurgy, ceramics and glasses, and composites, among others.' Who's Who Legal: Patents 2016
Semiconductor Patents Lawyer of the Year in England, 2015 (Global Law Experts Annual Awards)
ICFM Leading Lawyer 500, 2015
Recommended in Lawyer’s World Premier 500, 2015
Recommended in Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook, 2015
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal: Patents, 2015
‘It is little wonder that Rohan Setna is in high demand – cutting-edge innovators find the material science sage a kindred spirit, thanks to his “fresh, energetic approach.”’ IAM Patent 1000, 2014
ICFM Leading Lawyer 500, 2014
Legal 500, 2014 (Recommended, Patent Agents)
Find another attorney