Nick, Senior Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and a European Patent Attorney and Head of the firm’s High Tech and Electrical Group. He has been a Partner since 1995 and served as Managing Partner from 2011 to 2014.
Nick has special expertise of patent applications in the fields of medical devices and instrumentation, aeronautical systems, nuclear physics, laser technology, material science and film technology, automotive systems, packaging technology, microwave technology, navigational systems and software and semiconductor fabrication.
Nick is frequently involved in advising and representing clients during opposition and appeal proceedings at the European Patent Office. He is also experienced in litigating Patents in the High Court as a part of a legal team and advising clients on contentious matters in general.
Nick has a BSc Physics from Manchester University and a postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary, University of London. He is also a chartered physicist.
- Oversaw a complex and sizeable patent filing programme for a multinational client filling huge numbers of applications in a short period of time.
- Assisting a multinational corporation with the management of its large global patent portfolio, offering commercial and strategic advice to maximize protection.
- Managed a patent transfer project for a global company, including transfer recordals for hundreds patents across multiple jurisdictions worldwide.
High Tech and Electrical
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Aeronautical systems
- Film technology
- Laser Technology
- Material science
- Medical devices
- Nuclear physics
- General advice for contentious matters
- Patent litigation
- European Patent Attorney
- Chartered Patent Attorney
- BSc Physics from Manchester University
- Postgraduate certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary, University of London
Recognised by LegalComprehensive as a Top 100 Lawyer 2016/2017
'Star performer Nick McLeish is “known for his excellent skills in oppositions. One of the best things about him is that he stops and listens; he never just jumps in. He understands the law, the facts and the situation at hand, and consistently comes up with smart approaches”.' IAM Patent 1000, 2016
'Nick McLeish “is superlatively skilled when it comes to oppositions”; he and many of his colleagues take hands-on roles in litigation occurring in parallel to their European Patent Office (EPO) assignments.' IAM Patent 1000, 2015
500 Leading Lawyers, Intercontinental Finance Magazine 2015
'Nick McLeish is “top of the bill for European prosecution”. His excellence in oppositions is singled out for particular praise.' IAM Patent 1000, 2014
Lead Partner, UK Best Law Firms ,Leaders League Magazine, 2018
Find another attorney