Nicholas, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney, European Patent Attorney and European Design Attorney in the Engineering and Designs Group and the High Tech and Electrical Group.
With a varied background spanning both electronic and mechanical technologies, Nicholas is well placed to advise in technology areas that sit at the interface between the two. His practice involves drafting and prosecuting patent applications in a wide variety of fields including: display technologies, mobile devices, automotive engineering, aeronautical engineering, heavy machinery, control systems, medical devices and consumer packaging. Nick also regularly represents clients at Oral Proceedings before the Examining and Opposition divisions of the European Patent Office. In addition to filing and prosecution work, he also gives advice on infringement and validity issues and provides freedom-to-operate opinions.
Beyond Europe, Nick is experienced in co-ordinating the prosecution of patent applications in a range of jurisdictions. Nick also regularly files registered design applications in Europe and co-ordinates design filing programmes in multiple jurisdictions.
Nick has an MEng (Hons) Engineering from Durham University where he studied the full range of Engineering disciplines and specialised in Electronic Engineering. During Nick’s PhD at Durham University he researched organic electroluminescent devices. He subsequently worked as a research associate in the field of micro electro-mechanical systems. In addition to academic research, Nick also has experience of commercial research having worked for a multi-national company researching quality metrics for compression algorithms.
- Advocating in a series of complex multi-party European Oppositions against inter-related patents in the field of engine after-treatment systems.
- Advising a major engine manufacturing client on potential infringement risks associated with a new range of products to be sold globally.
- Drafting a portfolio of patent applications for a pre-revenue Cambridge-based medical diagnostics start-up and providing strategic IP advice in anticipation of technology launch.
- Prosecuting a large portfolio of European patent applications for a technology widely used in the telecommunications industry.
- Acting on behalf of an international semiconductor manufacturer, successfully opposing a competitor patent.
Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co’s Annual Patents Seminar, Birmingham, January 2016
NanoEmbrace- Network training workshop, Guest speaker, Paris, January 2016
Engineering and Designs
CPC4 Capital Park
Sectors and practice areas
- Automotive engineering
- Consumer electronics
- Medical devices
- Display technologies (including OLED and LCD)
- Heavy machinery
- Mobile devices
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Design Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- PhD Molecular Electronics, Durham University
- MEng (Hons) Engineering, Durham University
Find another attorney