Jennifer, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group.
She has experience prosecuting patent applications before the European Patent Office in all aspects of biotechnology, with particular focus on PEGylation technologies, antibodies, immunology and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Jennifer also has experience in both attacking and defending patents during Opposition Proceedings before the European Patent Office, managing clients’ international patent portfolios, advising on filing strategies and prosecuting patent applications before the UKIPO. She has been extensively involved in the filing of SPC applications throughout Europe. She is also a member of the BIA Cell & Gene Therapy Advisory Committee.
Jennifer has an MBiochem from the University of Oxford. In her final year she studied bacterial replication, focusing on chromosome segregation. She also undertook a summer research placement at the University of Southampton where she studied antigen presentation by MHCII.
- Successfully defended a patent for a Swedish biotechnology company, which covered an antibody developed for the use in treatment of Alzheimer’s disease and which is in clinical trials, against an opposition at the European Patent Office.
- Assisted a UK cancer diagnostics company by filing patent applications to protect new inventions and developments.
- Works with a US pharmaceutical company to manage its European patent portfolio and handles European Patent Office oppositions and defends against attacks at the EPO.
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Medical devices
- Pegylation technology and therapeutics
- Alzheimer’s treatment
- Immunological methods
- Novel proteins and nucleic acids
- Nucleic acid sequencing methods
- Protein conjugation
- Protein pegylation
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MBiochem, the University of Oxford
'Jennifer O’Farrell is a “first-class attorney, on top of the law and possessed of fantastic personal skills”.' IAM Patent 1000, 2016
Recommended Individual, Prosecution - IAM Patent 1000, 2017
Find another attorney