James, Partner, is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group.
James has experience in advising on a wide range of intellectual property and commercial matters affecting both large and small biotech and life science clients. He specialises in preparing and prosecuting UK, European and PCT patent applications, and in representing clients in European opposition and appeal proceedings. He has also advised clients involved in multi-jurisdictional patent litigation.
James has particular expertise in handling patent and technology matters relating to biological therapeutics and molecular biology, acting in matters regarding antibody therapeutics and vaccines, diagnostic assays, genetic analysis, genetic engineering and gene silencing and stem cell technology. He has worked with clients from a diverse range of industries including: pharmaceuticals, biologics, biomedical, diagnostics, nutrition, and consumer goods companies.
Prior to joining the patent profession, James worked as a consultant in the innovation and technology management group at Sagentia Ltd, and was also part of a research and development team for Procter & Gamble, Brussels.
James has an MA Cantab (Natural Sciences) and a PhD in molecular biology, both from the University of Cambridge.
- Represented Adaptive Biotechnologies Corporation in European opposition proceedings and successfully defended European Patent No. 2 364 368 which provides broad protection for immune profiling using next-generation sequencing (NGS).
- Assisting Cambridge-based biotech companies by filing patent applications to protect their platform technologies and developing strategies to protect applications of those technologies.
- Assisting researchers at Uppsala University by filing patent applications to protect their platform technology relating to RNAi.
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
CPC4 Capital Park
Sectors and practice areas
- Consumer goods
- Antibody therapeutics and vaccines
- Diagnostic assays
- Genetic analysis
- Genetic engineering and gene silencing
- Stem cell technology
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- PhD Molecular Biology, University of Cambridge
- MA (Cantab) Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
Find another attorney