European Patent Attorney
Hugh is a European Patent Attorney in the Chemical and Materials Group. He assists with the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications in the UK, Europe and worldwide.
Hugh has worked on a wide variety of topics, working with Attorneys across the technical discipline groups in the firm on technologies ranging from chewing gum compositions to industrial waste disposal and from traditional medicine to fire safety equipment. Additionally, Hugh has gained experience in portfolio review, having performed an extensive review of over 10 years of patent prosecution history for an international healthcare company.
Before entering the profession Hugh completed an MSci and PhD. His research was primarily computational focussing on prediction of the organic solid state and protein-ligand binding affinities. He has presented his PhD research, relating to prediction of the crystalline phases and material properties of drug and drug-like molecules, at conferences around the world and has co-authored numerous peer-reviewed journal articles. His work involved practical experience of mechanochemistry and computational modelling in addition to close collaboration with crystallographers, materials scientists and theoreticians as well as funders from the pharmaceutical industry.
- Assisted in drafting and prosecuting the global patent portfolio of a UK based semiconductor company.
- Assisted in drafting and prosecuting patents for a multinational food and beverage company.
- Assisted in conducting an extensive portfolio review for an international healthcare company.
Chemical and Materials
Salisbury Square House
8 Salisbury Square
Sectors and practice areas
- Analytical chemistry
- Energy and resources
- Food science
- Industrial and medical plasma
- Semiconductor devices
- Detergents and surfactants
- Food and beverage
- Industrial processing
- Home and hygiene
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary, University of London
- PhD Chemistry, University of Cambridge
- MSci (Hons) Chemistry, University of Cambridge
- MA Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
Find another attorney