David is a Chartered (UK) Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group. He advises on and assists with the preparation, filing and prosecution of patent applications in the UK, Europe and worldwide across many different areas of biotechnology. David also has experience in the preparation of freedom-to-operate and patentability opinions and has assisted in diligence exercises.
David has extensive practical experience of a variety of biochemical, molecular and cell biology techniques, gained in both academic and industrial environments. This includes: specialist knowledge of pesticides and associated resistance mechanisms, protein production and biochemistry, transgenic plant production and enzymology.
He carried out research during his PhD at the University of York in collaboration with Durham University and Syngenta, focusing on elucidating the molecular mechanism of multiple herbicide resistance in grass weeds. David also has an MSci in Natural Sciences, specialising in molecular biology and organic chemistry, from Durham University. David’s MSci research project focussed on the design and synthesis of novel thiophosphoramidate linkages and the use of such linkages to develop novel glycosyl transferase inhibitors.
David holds a Certificate in Intellectual Property Law from Queen Mary University of London and is a member of the CIPA Education and Professional Standards committee.
- Assisted in providing a biopharmaceutical company with freedom-to-operate and patentability advice, sought with a view to potential third party collaboration.
UCL IBIL Debate ‘Equivalents: K = Na. Is the genie out of the bottle?’, London, November 2017
KTN Chemistry and Industrial Biotechnology Showcase, York September, 2017
Westminster Food & Nutrition Forum Keynote Seminar, London, February 2017
University of Cambridge: Stretching Biotech Pharma Entrepreneurship, Cambridge, November 2016
Agri-tech East, REAP conference 2016, Cambridge, November 2016
Biology Careers Fair, University of York, June 2016
Westminster Food and Nutrition Forum, London, January 2016
April 2014 – 36th Symposium on Biotechnology for Fuels and Chemicals Event, Florida
March 2014 – Top trends IP seminar
January 2014 – CIPA East of England Event
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
CPC4 Capital Park
Sectors and practice areas
- Companion diagnostics
- Gene therapy
- Medical devices
- Personalised medicine
- Cancer immunotherapies
- Enzymatic detection
- Molecular biology
- Nucleic acid based technologies
- Organic chemistry
- Plant derived pharmaceuticals
- Proteins and peptides therapeutics
- Small molecule imaging agents
- CIPA: Member of the Education and Professional Standards Committee
- Industrial Biotechnology
- Society for Experimental Biology
- Chartered Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, Queen Mary University of London
- PhD Plant Biotechnology (Herbicide Resistance), University of York
- MSci (Hons) Natural Sciences (Biology and Chemistry), Durham University
Find another attorney