Trainee Trade Mark & Patents Secretary Cambridge
Closing date: Wednesday 28 February 2018
Boult Wade Tennant is a leading UK-based firm of patent and trade mark attorneys and has offices in London, Reading, Cambridge, Oxford and Munich. The firm has 32 partners, some 50 other professional personnel and a total of over 200 staff.
The firm offers a combination of intellectual property expertise, broad-based technical knowledge and well-developed commercial know-how to assist clients in securing effective protection for their inventions, ideas and trade marks. Our attorneys advise clients on how to use this protection for competitive advantage and help them to avoid any infringement of their competitors’ rights.
A full range of intellectual property services are provided including writing and prosecuting patents, registering trade marks, intellectual property strategy and policy advice, searches and watches, portfolio management, renewals, technical illustration, outsourcing services for in-house intellectual property departments and infringement and enforcement advice.
Boult Wade Tennant are seeking to appoint a full time secretary to train to become a Trade Mark and Patent Secretary in the Cambridge office. The successful candidate will be someone who is looking for an interesting variety of work, is helpful, eager to learn and take on responsibility, and also enjoys working as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Word (track changes), Excel, Outlook, and Internet Explorer (searching, making/amending reservations etc)
- A high level of accuracy is required with good typing speed in copy and audio, preferably 55-60 wpm; emphasis on accuracy
- A ‘can do’ attitude, willingness to learn and expand knowledge and skills within the role, approachability, flexibility as to hours and the role itself, a practical/common sense approach
- Ability to build and maintain constructive relationships with individuals at different levels of seniority
- Ability to work effectively both as a team player and independently with initiative
- Ability to stay calm in often demanding situations and work well under pressure
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Audio/copy typing
- Monitoring outlook calendars
- Drafting letters, faxes and emails
- Making amendments to patent specifications using “track changes”
- Filing, emailing, faxing and photocopying
- Preparation of appropriate forms for new patent applications
- Preparation of legal documents e.g. Extension of Time Requests
- Use of eOLF Online filing software
- Preparation of internal memos, forms and general office administration
- Use of Espacenet and the various Patent Office websites for searching and downloading patent specifications and correspondence
- Dealing with internal questions and telephone calls and taking accurate messages
- Arranging UK travel and dealing with associated expense claims on behalf of the fee earner
- Charging to include: Preparation of charge sheets, billing narratives, general monitoring of fee earner’s Work in Progress (WIP), preparation of billing paperwork including billing narratives and updating various schedules on a daily basis
- Entering disbursements and time in Inprotech for billing purposes
- Additional ad-hoc responsibilities as and when necessary
- Skype for Business
- Windows 7
- Microsoft Word and Excel 2010
- Worksite (Document management system)
- Outlook (email and dairy system)
- Inprotech (Records and Accounting System)
- Winscribe (Digital Dictation)
- Salary: competitive salary
- Working Hours: Monday to Friday (35 hrs per week)
- 23 days holiday pa plus bank holidays (pro rata)
- Life Insurance (from start date)
- Company Personal Pension scheme (qualifying period three months)
- Flexible benefits package, to include holiday trading scheme
- Private health insurance (on passing probation)li>
From time to time reporting lines and responsibilities may change; any changes will be at the sole discretion of the firm.
To apply, please send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.