Jennifer is a Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney in the Biotechnology and Life Sciences Group.
She has experience prosecuting patent applications before the European Patent Office in all aspects of the biotechnological arts, with particular focus on bacterial vaccines, apoptotic regulation, immunology, ubiquitin proteases, DNA sequencing and pegylation technologies.
Jennifer also has experience in both attacking and defending patents during Opposition Proceedings before the European Patent Office, managing clients’ international patent portfolios, advising on filing strategies and prosecuting patent applications before the UKIPO. She has been extensively involved in the filing of SPC applications throughout Europe.
Jennifer has an MBiochem from the University of Oxford. In her final year she studied bacterial replication, focussing on chromosome segregation. She also undertook a summer research placement at the University of Southampton where she studied antigen presentation by MHCII.
- Successfully defended a patent for a Swedish biotechnology company, which covered an antibody developed for the use in treatment of Alzheimer’s disease and which is in clinical trials, against an opposition at the European Patent Office.
- Assisted a UK cancer diagnostics company by filing patent applications to protect new inventions and developments.
- Works with a US pharmaceutical company to manage its European patent portfolio and handles European Patent Office oppositions and defends against attacks at the EPO.
BioTrinity 2017, London, May 2017
Westminster Legal Policy Forum, Attending, London, February 2017
Women in the City Annual Lunch, London, November 2016
Life Sciences Patents Network Europe, Attending, London, December 2016
BIA UK Bioscience Forum, London, October 2016
Royal Society of Chemistry’s IP Case Law Seminar, Speaker, London, October 2016
December 2014 – Genesis Conference
July 2014 – One Nucleus, ON Helix
June 2014 – BIO International Convention, San Diego
May 2014 – BioTrinity
May 2014 – BIA Lecture, ‘Inspiring innovation in healthcare and the next generation’
March 2014 – MIP conference
March 2014 – Westminster Conference
February 2014 – Speaker, Boult Wade Tennant Chemistry and Biotech client seminar
December 2013 – Genesis, London
October 2013 – CIPA Congress
October 2013 – London Patent Summit
July 2013 – ON Helix
June 2013 – PraxisUnico conference
May 2013 – BioTrinity
November 2012 – CIPA Biotech conference
Biotechnology and Life Sciences
70 Gray's Inn Road
Sectors and practice areas
- Medical devices
- Pegylation technology and therapeutics
- Alzheimer’s treatment
- Immunological methods
- Novel proteins and nucleic acids
- Nucleic acid sequencing methods
- Protein conjugation
- Protein pegylation
- Chartered UK Patent Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- MBiochem, the University of Oxford
'Jennifer O’Farrell is a “first-class attorney, on top of the law and possessed of fantastic personal skills”.' IAM Patent 1000, 2016
Find another attorney